What is involved in the certification process?
The certification is robust but simple:
- On-line application supported by sworn statement (self-registration stage)
- Confirmation to apply for Certification, supported by documentation and non-refundable fee
- On-site visit by WEConnect International to verify ownership and control of your business, and to get to know you
- Review of application by WEConnect International
- If certification is confirmed a Certificate will be sent to you
- You will be placed on the WEConnect International online database for Certified WBE's used by our corporate members to search for potential suppliers
- You will also be eligible for invitation to WEConnect International meet the member events with our corporate members
How long does my certification last?
- The WEConnect International certification lasts for three years, commencing with a site-visit and detailed verification process by WEConnect International in year 1 for which a fee based on the turnover of your organisation (see table below) is charged
- In years 2 and 3, you will be required to self-certify to confirm that your business is still majority (51%+) women-owned and managed. The same fee as year 1 will be charged each year to remain on our Corporate database for years 2 and 3, regardless of the size of your organisation
- In year 4 a full certification process and WEConnect International site visit will be necessary, for which the full certification fee will be charged
What is the WEConnect International Certification fee?
The fee depends upon the size of your company. WEConnect International’s process is unique – and robust – because it includes an on-site visit to get to know you and to verify that you are the owner and manager of your business.
Annual WEConnect International Certification Fees (all fees are plus VAT) *
||Certification fee (first year and renewals)
||Renewal certification fee if completed two weeks ahead of renewal date
|£100,001 to £500,000
|£500,001 to £2,000,000
*Please note, this is a non-refundable fee should your business fail to meet the WEConnect International criteria for certification which is majority ownership, management and control of your business by one or more women. Self registration is free of charge and is valid for 12 months.
What happens once certified?
When you are certified by WEConnect International, you become a WBE.
A WBE (Women's Business Enterprise) is an independent business concern that is at least 51% owned and controlled by one or more women.
Are there any other ways to get registered?
Self-registration is one way that your business can become known by WEConnect International in Europe. This option enables a business to register on the WEConnect International database and confirm by a signed statement that they are owned and controlled by a woman or women (step 1 described above). No site visit is carried out for verification purposes, and WEConnect International will not actively work on behalf of self-registered businesses to facilitate connections.
What are the benefits of self-registration compared to certification?
- enables your business details to be listed on the database that WEConnect International Corporate Members, Supporters and Certified WBEs have access to, thereby gaining wider exposure for your business.
- enables you to participate in the WEConnect International workshops, conference and other events at a reduced rate.
- is valid for up to 12 months and after this time the Woman Business Owner must apply for certification or be removed from the database.
Certification provides the following benefits:
- facilitated opportunities to meet with procurement officers from our Corporate Members and Supporters - an impressive and growing list of top international organisations all eager to diversify their supply chains
- your details appear on the database as a Fully Certified business - searched by our Corporate Members as they seek to engage with new and diverse suppliers
- opportunities for you to meet with other women business owners who are registered with us - a great chance to partner up to increase strength to tender for larger contracts
- participation in the WEConnect International workshops, conference and events at a heavily discounted rate
- Certification can be used as a marketing tool for your business in order to differentiate from the competition.
Find out about the WEConnect benefits or apply now for self-registration or Certification.